Saturday 29 June 2013

Breastfeeding.... I'm one of the ones that didn't...

As it's breastfeeding week I thought I would share my views on the subject.

I have four children, 2 girls & twin boys & I did not breastfeed any of them.  I didn't want to try & to be honest I never felt guilty about not doing it.  I remember being pregnant with Lauren my eldest & my friend telling me that the nurse made her cousin cry because she didn't want to breastfeed & how guilty they made her feel.  I was so worried that they would be like this with me but I just stood my ground.  You might want to wonder why?  I wanted to have night feeds shared so I could get some sleep, that may be selfish but thats my honest answer.  Also the bond my husband has with the children I think is better because of this.

My girls had really bad reflux, Georgia had it far worse, sometimes going through 5-6 bibs every feed.  Maybe the formula wasn't helping but the doctor told me not to change it as she wasn't losing weight.  I think the reflux was down to the medicine I used when I had heartburn during pregnancy, as I used it more when pregnant with Georgia.  When I got pregnant with the twins, I was worried at how I would cope if they both had reflux has bad as Georgia so I just suffered with heartburn, I didn't take any medicines at all for it & thankfully neither were sicky babies.  The thing is I can't turn back the clock to see if the breast would have stopped Lauren's or Georgia's reflux but bottle feeding didn't hurt any of them.

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts on breastfeeding this week.  I read alot of blogs & I noticed the ones I read the most Katie, Charlotte, Lauren, Jess & Bex all these moms are or did breastfeed their babies. 

It got me thinking a bit though, & if I'm honest, if I was pregnant now after reading all these posts & knowing the support I would get from these wonderful ladies I would actually give breastfeeding a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment